REGULAR Meeting of May 13, 2020
5/13/2020 6:00:00 PM
KETCHIKAN GATEWAY BOROUGH SCHOOL DISTRICT
BOARD OF EDUCATION
May 13, 2020
**A Work Session to hear a presentation on the School Climate and Connectedness Survey
will be held from 4:30 to 5:45 p.m., prior to the regular meeting.
Work session and regular meeting to be conducted via videoconference and
streamed live at: www.kgbsd.org/live and on KPU Channel 685.
- CALL TO ORDER, PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE, ROLL CALL
- APPROVAL OF AGENDA
- PUBLIC RECOGNITION: Asia-Pacific Heritage Month; Mental Health Awareness Month; National School Lunch Super Heroes Day; National School Principals Day
- CITIZEN REMARKS
- CLAIMS FOR INFORMATION – May 1, 2020
- SUPERINTENDENT REPORT including the Revilla Jr./Sr. High’s Annual Report
- * * PUBLIC HEARING – POLICY * * : Procedure (1) Citizens may give public comment regarding the subject of the hearing; (2) the public hearing is closed; (3) opportunity for Board discussion and decision.
- Motion to adopt revisions to Board Bylaw 9130 – Board Committees in second reading.
- CONSENT CALENDAR - Matters listed under the Consent Calendar are considered to be routine and will be enacted by one motion and one vote. There will be no separate discussion of these items. If a Board member requests discussion, that item will be removed from the Consent Calendar and will be considered under Unfinished Business.
a. Motion to approve the regular meeting minutes of April 22, 2020.
b. Motion to approve a teaching contract with Greg Chambers for the 2020-2021 school year (SMS-Math).
c. Motion to approve a teaching contract with Alexandra Hurley for the 2020-2021 school year (SMS-SPED).
d. Motion to approve a teaching contract with Miranda Gee for the 2020-2021 school year (HT-Pre-K).
e. Motion to approve a teaching contract with Melanie Cornwall for the 2020-2021 school year (TSAS-Music)
f. Motion to approve a teaching contract with Daniela Saez for the 2020-2021 school year (KHS-Spanish).
g. Motion to approve a teaching contract with Mary Maley for the 2020-2021 school year (SMS-Science).
h. Motion to approve a leave of absence for Brittany “Arizona” Jacobs until the end of the 2019-20 school year.
i. Motion to approve a leave of absence for Maggie Willette until the end of the 2019-20 school year.
- UNFINISHED BUSINESS (or transferred consent calendar items)
- NEW BUSINESS
a. Motion to authorize CARES Act funds in the amount of $588,598.
b. Motion to approve a sole source contract with PDC Engineers for engineering & design work on the Kayhi boiler project.
c. Motion to approve an MOA with Ketchikan Gateway Borough for the Kayhi boiler #2 replacement project.
d. Motion to authorize the Superintendent to adjust the last student contact day of the 2019-2020 school year.
- Review of Board goals
- Special Education task force
- BOARD COMMENTS
13. EXECUTIVE SESSION – Regarding the First Student contract – a matter the immediate knowledge of which would clearly have an adverse effect upon the finances of the school district.
14. ADVANCE PLANNING
a. Board Member Volunteer for Media Contact
b. Special Meeting – 5 p.m. Thurs., May 14, 2020 – Purpose to hold executive session for a personnel hearing
c. Next Regular School Board Meeting - Wednesday, May 27, 2020 (with agenda setting at 10 a.m. May 18)
* Public Comment: Provide public comment via email to Kerry.Watson@k21schools.org by 3 p.m. May 13, 2020 to be read at the meeting. Telephonic testimony can be arranged by contact to the same email.