KETCHIKAN GATEWAY BOROUGH SCHOOL DISTRICT BOARD OF EDUCATION
May 10, 2023, 6:00 P.M.
Ketchikan Gateway Borough Assembly Chambers
The Board of Education respectfully acknowledges the traditional first people of this land in Ketchikan, the Tongass Tlingit people.
1. CALL TO ORDER, PLEDGE OF ALLIEGANCE, ROLL CALL
2. APPROVAL OF AGENDA
3. PUBLIC RECOGNITION- Jack Zink, Student Board Member; Recognition of this year’s retirees; Mental Health Awareness Month; Asian-Pacific American Heritage Month; Teacher Appreciation Week; National School Nurse Day
4. CITIZEN REMARKS (per BB9323, each individual speaker is allowed a maximum of 5 minutes to address the board.)
5. INFORMATION AND REPORTS FROM BOARD MEMBERS including Committee Reports
6. REPORTS FOR INFORMATION – Claims of April 28, 2023 - Monthly Results of Operations
- Student Member Report
- Superintendent Report
8. CONSENT CALENDAR - (Matters listed under the Consent Calendar are routine and will be enacted by one motion and one vote. There will be no separate discussion of these items. If a Board member requests discussion, that item will be removed from the Consent Calendar and will be considered under Unfinished Business.)
a. Motion to approve the meeting minutes of April 26, 2023.
b. Motion to approve the Indigenous Languages classes at KHS be eligible to count as social studies or world language credit.
c. Motion to approve the offering of special services contracts to Breaking Barriers, LLC; SERRC; Brian D. Adams, Naomi Haller and Lianna H. Bodine.
9. UNFINISHED BUSINESS (or transferred consent calendar items)
10. NEW BUSINESS
a. Motion to approve regular meeting dates for July, November, and December 2023.
b. Motion to extend the Superintendent’s contract for the 24-25 school year, as presented.
a. Moving the May 24th meeting to May 25th for the Scholarship Assembly at Ketchikan High School
b. Board Goal SAFETY #1- Support the implementation of Transforming Schools Trauma Engaged Framework and review the
implementation quarterly- SAMHSA update with Michael Cron, Director of Special Services.
c. Strategic Plan Committee recap
12. BOARD COMMENTS
13. ADVANCE PLANNING
a. School Board Listening Session Saturday May 13th (Pilothouse) or Sunday May 14th (Cape Fox) from 9:00-11:00 am. Date and location to be determined at the regular meeting of May 10th, 2023
b. School Board regular meeting and/or work session Wednesday May 24th at 6:00 p.m. in the Borough Assembly Chambers.
The Board reserves the right to go into executive session at any time as and to the extent provided by AS 44.62.310 (the Public Meetings Act) and Board Policy 9321 (Executive Sessions)
Meeting materials are posted at schoolboard.kgbsd.org; may be streamed via the Borough's website and may be broadcast on KPU local access channel 679