KETCHIKAN GATEWAY BOROUGH SCHOOL DISTRICT BOARD OF EDUCATION
REGULAR MEETING AND WORK SESSION
January 25, 2023 6:00 P.M.
Ketchikan Gateway Borough Assembly Chambers
The Board of Education respectfully acknowledges the traditional first people of this land in Ketchikan, the Tongass Tlingit people.
1. CALL TO ORDER, FLAG CEREMONY AND PLEDGE OF ALLIEGANCE, ROLL CALL
2. APPROVAL OF AGENDA
3. PUBLIC RECOGNITION
4. CITIZEN REMARKS (per BB9323, each individual speaker is allowed a maximum of 5 minutes to address the board.)
5. INFORMATION AND REPORTS FROM BOARD MEMBERS including Committee Reports
6. CLAIMS FOR INFORMATION – Claims of January 20, 2023
- Student Member Report
- Superintendent Report
8. CONSENT CALENDAR - (Matters listed under the Consent Calendar are routine and will be enacted by one motion and one vote. There will be no separate discussion of these items. If a Board member requests discussion, that item will be removed from the Consent Calendar and will be considered under Unfinished Business.)
a. Motion to approve the meeting minutes of January 11, 2023
b. Motion to approve the special meeting minutes of January 18, 2023
c. Motion to approve the purchase of licenses and license support from Vmware and Veem to support the district server/storage needs.
9. UNFINISHED BUSINESS (or transferred consent calendar items)
10. NEW BUSINESS
a. Motion to approve the contract with Schmolck Mechanical Contractor regarding Kayhi Phase two, Boiler 1 replacement.
b. Motion to approve the 2023- 2024 District School Year Calendar.
11. WORK SESSION- Motion to enter a work session with Matt Lewis, Vice President, Employee Benefits and Gary Baldridge, Executive Vice President, Employee Benefits, of USI
Insurance Services to discuss District Health Insurance
a. District FY 24 Budget
13. EXECUTIVE SESSION-
a. Motion to enter Executive Session regarding labor negotiations with KLO, a matter the immediate knowledge of which would clearly have an adverse effect upon the finances of the school district.
b. Motion to enter Executive Session to receive advice from counsel regarding employment practices and hiring, which is covered by attorney-client privilege.
14. BOARD COMMENTS
15. ADVANCE PLANNING
a. School Board regular meeting February 8, 2023 at 6:00 p.m. in the Borough Assembly Chambers.
b. Future meeting with KIC
The Board reserves the right to go into executive session at any time as and to the extent provided by
AS 44.62.310 (the Public Meetings Act) and Board Policy 9321 (Executive Sessions)