REGULAR MEETING of August 10, 2022
8/10/2022 6:00:00 PM
KETCHIKAN GATEWAY BOROUGH SCHOOL DISTRICT
BOARD OF EDUCATION
August 10th, 2022
Ketchikan Gateway Borough Assembly Chambers
The Board of Education respectfully acknowledges the traditional first people of this land in Ketchikan, the Tongass Tlingit people.
1. CALL TO ORDER, PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE, ROLL CALL
2. APPROVAL OF AGENDA
3. PUBLIC RECOGNITION
4. CITIZEN REMARKS - (Per Board Bylaw 9323, each individual speaker will be limited to a maximum of 5 minutes.)
a. COVID Mitigation Plan- an opportunity for public comment on the District COVID Mitigation Plan as required by Alaska State Regulations.
5. INFORMATION AND REPORTS FROM BOARD MEMBERS- including any Committee Reports
6. CLAIMS FOR INFORMATION - Claims of: July 22, 2022
7. SUPERINTENDENT'S REPORT:
8. **PUBLIC HEARING - POLICY** - Procedure (1) Citizens may give public comment regarding the subject of the hearing; (2) the public hearing is closed; (3) opportunity for Board discussion and decision.
a. Motion to revise BP 5113 “Absences and Excuses”
9. CONSENT CALENDAR - Matters listed under the Consent Calendar are considered routine and will be enacted by one motion and one vote. There will be no separate discussion of these items. If a Board member requests discussion, that item will be removed from the Consent Calendar and will be considered under Unfinished Business.
a. Motion to approve the regular meeting minutes of June 22, 2022
b. Motion to approve the regular meeting minutes of July 13, 2022
c. . Motion to approve Certified New Hire Contract for Leslie Roussan (ELL Teacher District Wide) for the 2022-2023 school year.
d. Motion to approve Certified New Hire Contract for Jeannie Tackett (1st / 2nd Grade Teacher at Tongass School of Arts & Sciences) for the 2022-2023 school year.
e. Motion to approve Certified New Hire Contract for Leigh Woodward (RTI (Response to Intervention) Teacher at Ketchikan Charter School) for the 2022-2023 school year.
f. Motion to approve the DEED CTE partnership grant for the CNA program.
g. Motion to approve a contract with SECON for asphalt repair at the district Maintenance Facility.
10. UNFINISHED BUSINESS (or transferred consent calendar items)
11. NEW BUSINESS
a. Drug abuse/overdose issues
13. BOARD COMMENTS
14. ADVANCE PLANNING
a. School Board Regular Meeting and/or work session Wednesday August 24, 2022, including training with AASB
The Board reserves the right to go into executive session at any time as and to the extent provided by
AS 44.62.310 (the Public Meetings Act) and Board Policy 9321 (Executive Sessions).
Regular Meeting of the Board of Education