KETCHIKAN GATEWAY BOROUGH SCHOOL DISTRICT BOARD OF EDUCATION
June 14, 2023, 6:00 P.M.
Ketchikan Gateway Borough Assembly Chambers
The Board of Education respectfully acknowledges the traditional first people of this land in Ketchikan, the Tongass Tlingit people.
1. CALL TO ORDER, PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE, ROLL CALL
2. APPROVAL OF AGENDA
3. PUBLIC RECOGNITION- Pride Month
4. CITIZEN REMARKS (per BB9323, each individual speaker is allowed a maximum of 5 minutes to address the board.)
5. INFORMATION AND REPORTS FROM BOARD MEMBERS including Committee Reports
6. REPORTS FOR INFORMATION – Claims of May 26, 2023
7. REPORTS - Superintendent Report
8. CONSENT CALENDAR - (Matters listed under the Consent Calendar are routine and will be enacted by one motion and one vote. There will be no separate discussion of these items. If a Board member requests discussion, that item will be removed from the Consent Calendar and will be considered under Unfinished Business.)
a. Motion to approve the meeting minutes of May 25, 2023.
b. Motion to approve the offering of special services contracts to Breaking Barriers, LLC and Jill Lucy of Access Behavioral, LLC for SLP and behavior support services for the 2023-24 school year.
c. Motion to approve the offering of a special services contract to Lakemary Center, Inc for services specified by an Individualized Education Plan.
d. Motion to approve offering of certified teaching contracts to Teresa Varnell, Vance Churchwell, Tim Hemme for the 2023-24 school year.
9. UNFINISHED BUSINESS (or transferred consent calendar items)
10. EXECUTIVE SESSION
a. Motion to enter executive session to discuss the collective bargaining agreement between the KGBSD Maintenance Employees and the IBEW Local 1547, a matter which the immediate knowledge of which would clearly have an adverse effect upon the finances of the school district.
b. Motion to enter executive session to discuss the KLO negotiated agreement, a matter which the immediate knowledge of which would clearly have an adverse effect upon the finances of the school district.
a. Budget concerns/review
b. Superintendent/School Board travel conflict with November 8, 2023 and February 14, 2024 meeting dates
12. BOARD COMMENTS
13. ADVANCE PLANNING
a. School Board Listening Session Saturday June 17 or Sunday June 18, 9:00-11:00 am; location to be determined at the regular
meeting of June 14th, 2023.
a. School Board regular meeting and/or work session June 28th at 6:00 p.m. in the Borough Assembly Chambers
The Board reserves the right to go into executive session at any time as and to the extent provided by
AS 44.62.310 (the Public Meetings Act) and Board Policy 9321 (Executive Sessions)