REGULAR MEETING of December 9, 2020
12/9/2020 6:00:00 PM
KETCHIKAN GATEWAY BOROUGH SCHOOL DISTRICT
BOARD OF EDUCATION
DECEMBER 9, 2020
* Held virtually via WebEx and streamed live at www.kgbak.us/meeting.videos
VISION: Educating and empowering students to be leaders, critical thinkers, and problem solvers.
MISSION: Together we foster an educational culture of academic excellence, meaningful connections, and nurturing environments to maximize every student's unique potential.
The Board of Education would like to respectfully acknowledge the traditional first people of this land in Ketchikan, the Tongass Tlingit people.
- CALL TO ORDER, PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE, ROLL CALL
- APPROVAL OF AGENDA
- PUBLIC RECOGNITION
- CITIZEN REMARKS
- INFORMATION AND REPORTS FROM BOARD MEMBERS - including any Committee Reports
- CLAIMS FOR INFORMATION – Claims of November 13, 2020; Claims of November 25, 2020
- SUPERINTENDENT’S REPORT including:
- Student Board Member
- TSAS School Report
- Any Other Director Reports
- **PUBLIC HEARING - POLICY** - Procedure (1) Citizens may give public comment regarding the subject of the hearing; (2) the public hearing is closed; (3) opportunity for Board discussion and decision.
a. Motion to revise Board Policy 5141.52 - Suicide Prevention in first reading.
- CONSENT CALENDAR - Matters listed under the Consent Calendar are considered to be routine and will be enacted by one motion and one vote. There will be no separate discussion of these items. If a Board member requests discussion, that item will be removed from the Consent Calendar and will be considered under Unfinished Business.
a. Motion to approve the regular meeting minutes of November 11, 2020.
- UNFINISHED BUSINESS (or transferred consent calendar items)
- NEW BUSINESS
a. Motion to approve a renewal of the contract with Tongass School of Arts and Sciences.
b. Motion to approve the FY ‘21 budget revision.
c. Motion to approve temporary suspension of specific provisions of Board Policy 6146.1- High School Graduation Requirements.
- Board Committees' meeting schedules
- Standard protocols for student activities
- BOARD COMMENTS
- ADVANCE PLANNING
- Board Member Volunteer for Media Contact
- Special Board Meeting - Thurs., December 10, 2020, 6 p.m. Kayhi library
- Regular School Board Meeting - Wed., January 13, 2021 6 p.m., Assembly Chambers
The Board reserves the right to go into executive session at any time as and to the extent provided by AS 44.62.310 (the Public Meetings Act) and Board Policy 9321 (Executive Sessions).
*To view the meeting: 1) Install WebEx on your iPad, smart phone or computer. The WebEx meeting number is: Event Number: 126 449 9598; Event Password: SocialDistance6 2) Livestream via www.kgbak.us/meeting.videos; or 3) view on local KPU television.
**Public Comment: Written public comment to be read aloud at the meeting should be submitted to the Board Clerk at Kerry.Watson@k21schools.org. Those wishing to speak during citizen remarks** or the policy hearing*** via WebEx need to call 247-2142 or email at to the above address by 1 p.m. on Dec. 9 to sign up. Please call the above number for further information on participation.
Regular Meeting of the Board of Education