REGULAR MEETING of August 28, 2019
8/28/2019 6:00:00 PM
KETCHIKAN GATEWAY BOROUGH SCHOOL DISTRICT
BOARD OF EDUCATION
Regular Meeting of August 28, 2019
Ketchikan Gateway Borough Assembly Chambers
- CALL TO ORDER, PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE, ROLL CALL
- PUBLIC RECOGNITION
- CITIZEN REMARKS
- INFORMATION AND REPORTS FROM BOARD MEMBERS
- CLAIMS FOR INFORMATION
- Detailed Claims Register of August 23, 2019
- SUPERINTENDENT REPORT:
- Business Manager’s Report
- **PUBLIC HEARINGS - POLICY **- Procedure: (1) Citizens may give public comment regarding the subject of the hearing; (2) the public hearing is closed; (3) opportunity for the Board discussion and decision.
- Motion to approve revisions to Board Policy 4133 - Travel Expenses in second reading.
- Motion to approve revisions to Board Policy 5138 - Student Personal Electronic Device and Cell Phone Use in second reading.
- CONSENT CALENDAR: Matters listed under the Consent Calendar are considered to be routine and will be enacted by one motion and one vote. There will be no separate discussion of these items. If a Board member requests discussion, that item will be moved from the Consent Calendar and will be considered under Unfinished Business.
a. Motion to approve regular meeting minutes of August 14, 2019.
b. Motion to approve out-of-state student travel to the Balfour Yearbook Fall Workshop in September.
- UNFINISHED BUSINESS
- NEW BUSINESS
- Motion to approve Resolution #20-01 regarding authorized bank account signers.
- Motion to approve a contract with Sheri Adams for speech pathology services for the 2019-2020 school year in the amount of $52,130.
- Motion to approve a contract with Bob Hewitt for principal and administrator mentoring services for the 2019-2020 school year.
- Motion to contract with the Association of Alaska School Boards to provide guidance in filling the permanent position of District Superintendent.
- AASB Upcoming Conference(s): Fall Conference - September 21-22, 2019; Annual Conference - November 7-10, 2019.
- Setting priorities relative to the Strategic Plan
- Revising AR 6146.1 - High School Graduation Requirements
- CITIZEN REMARKS
- BOARD MEMBER COMMENTS
- EXECUTIVE SESSION - Discussion with the Interim Superintendent Beth Lougee regarding job expectations and performance goals - a subject that tends to prejudice the reputation and character of any person, provided the person may request a public discussion.
The Board may enter an executive session for a permitted reason, only after a motion is made and voted upon in open session to enter the executive session. Permitted subjects for an executive session are:
- matters, the immediate knowledge of which would clearly have an adverse effect upon the finances of the school district;
- subjects that tend to prejudice the reputation and character of any person, provided the person may request a public discussion;
- matters which by law, municipal charter, or ordinance are required to be confidential; or
- matters involving consideration of government records that by law are not subject to public disclosure
- meetings for the purpose of hearing and deciding matters, in which the Board acts as an adjudicatory body performing a quasi-judicial function.
- ADVANCED PLANNING
a. Media Contact:
b. Agenda Setting for September 11, 2019 meeting: 4:30 p.m., Tues., September 3, 2019
c. Next School Board Meeting: 6:00 p.m., Wed., September 11, 2019
Regular Meeting of the Board of Education