Expectations for student transportation
EXPECTATIONS FOR STUDENT TRANSPORTATION
Safety is a major concern in the Ketchikan Gateway Borough School District. We continually stress the importance of students being safe riders. The bus ride is an extension of the school day and students are under the supervision of school and bus personnel. For this purpose, video surveillance systems may be placed on buses to monitor driver safety standards and student behavior. Audio recording may also be included.
Students riding school buses must follow all safety rules and regulations. Violations of bus regulations may result in:
2nd Meeting between parents, principal and student.
3rd Loss of bus privilege for one week.
4th Loss of bus privilege for one month.
5th Loss of bus privilege for the remainder of the school year.
In addition to general safety practices listed below, there are various state and district regulations which students must follow when riding the bus. Students should be reminded that riding the school bus is a privilege, not a right.
1. Be at the bus stop 5 minutes prior to the pick up time.
2. Exercise good manners, caution and consideration for other people.
3. Obey the school bus driver; his/her primary concern is for your safety.
4. Students will be assigned seats.
5. Pupils may not have anything in their possession that may cause injury to another.
6. Hanging onto any portion of the school bus from outside the school bus, whether the bus is moving or not, is illegal and dangerous.
7. Only items that can be held in the student’s lap or placed in the seat beside them may be transported on the bus. Skateboards may not be
transported on the bus.
8. Parents are responsible for damages to the school bus due to misconduct of their children.
9. No animals, large or small, of any kind are allowed on the bus at any time.
10. In general, classroom conduct will be observed. The school bus is not a playground; save horseplay and wrestling for another time and place.
The Ketchikan Gateway Borough School District and First Student appreciate the support of parents/guardians, in the safe transportation of all students.
Parents of students are to sign and submit this transportation agreement to First Student within 10 days of starting bus service. This privilege may be revoked without a signed transportation agreement.
Questions: please call First Student at 907-225-3806
Please submit to: First Student
Mail: 153 Eichner Ave, Ketchikan, AK, 99901 Fax: 907-225-3805
Student’s name: School:
Parent/Guardian Name Phone Number