All school staff shall respond to campus disturbances in accordance with the school’s response plan. Response Plans shall describe:
- The means which will be used to signal an emergency situation and maintain communication among staff and with the Superintendent or designee.
- Each staff member’s specific duties during a disturbance.
- Procedures for ensuring the safety of students and staff.
- Conditions, as prearranged with law enforcement authorities, under which the principal or designee shall:
- Inform the police.
- Secure police assistance
- Give the police responsibility for a specific crisis situation.
- Procedures for the orderly dismissal of school when authorized by the principal or designee.
- Procedures to route all media inquiries to the Superintendent or designee.
Extension of Class Period
During any disturbance in which additional students might become involved while changing classes, the principal or designee may notice all staff that the present class period will be extended until further notice. Upon receiving this notification:
- Teachers shall ensure that all students in their charge remain in one location under their supervision.
- Teachers shall ask any students who are in the halls to return to their classes at once.
KETCHIKAN GATEWAY BOROUGH SCHOOL DISTRICT
Adoption Date: 10/13/99
Revision Date: 02/08/2017