PART TIME ENROLLMENT
Note: AS 14.03.095 requires school districts to allow part-time enrollment of students enrolled in private school, correspondence, or home school programs. However, part-time enrollment is not required if enrollment would be denied even if the enrollee were a full-time student. Enrollment may be denied to full-time students only for the following reasons: a physical or mental condition that creates a risk to others or renders the child unable to benefit from the school program; continued willful disobedience of school authority; behavior injurious to the welfare or safety of others; or conviction of a felony which is injurious to the welfare of others. AS 14.30.045. Enrollment may also be denied if it would result in the expenditure of public funds for the direct benefit of a private school.
The Board encourages all school age students who reside within the district to take advantage of the educational opportunities available at our schools. School aged children who are primarily enrolled in private school, correspondence school, home school, or other programs of that nature are eligible to enroll as part-time students in the district.
Definition of Part-time Student
A part-time student is a pupil who attends a district school for a length of time each day which is less than the full school day. A part-time student may be primarily enrolled in a private school, correspondence program, home school, or other program of a similar nature and also seek enrollment in the district in order to take advantage of classes and other programs offered in a single district elementary school, middle school or high school.
A child between the age of seven and sixteen years is required to be enrolled full-time in a public school or other state approved educational program. A child will not be permitted to enroll as a part-time student unless the child is also enrolled in a private school, correspondence program, or home school program, unless part-time enrollment is otherwise authorized by law.
Part-time students may enroll in courses subject to space availability. Enrollment will be available to part-time students in a specific course if there is space available. The determination of space availability will be made by district administrators applying the same criteria that would be used in determining whether space remains available for enrollment by full-time students.
1. Part-time students must meet the same course prerequisites that are required of full-time students. The district reserves the right to require testing or use any other means it deems appropriate to determine grade-level placement of any student seeking part-time enrollment in an academic course.
(cf. 5111 - Admission)
(cf. 5118 - Transfers)
2. Subject to other provisions of this policy, part-time enrollment is available for all courses regularly scheduled during the school day. Additional courses will not be added to meet the demand of part-time students except in those cases where additional courses would be added if the demand were created by full-time students.
3. A part-time student may enroll at the district school the student would attend if enrolled in the district full-time. Part-time students may request boundary exceptions on the same basis as full-time students. No part-time student will be permitted to enroll in more than one district school at a time.
(cf. 5116 - School Attendance Boundaries)
4. Part-time students will be allowed access to playgrounds, libraries and computer labs.
5. A part-time student may not enroll if enrollment would be denied even if the enrollee were a full-time student.
(cf. 5112 - Exclusion)
(cf. 5144 - Discipline)
(cf. 5145 - various Rights and Responsibilities)
Compliance with District Policies, Rules, and Procedures
All applicable district policies, rules and procedures apply to part-time students enrolled in district schools. In seeking part-time enrollment, enrollees agree to comply with all rules and procedures, including those governing student decorum.
Part-time students may use the district’s pupil transportation system on the same basis as full-time students. In all other circumstances, the part-time student and/or his or her parent/guardian will be responsible for the student’s transportation to and from school.
Extracurricular and Co-curricular Activities
A part-time student may participate in extracurricular and co-curricular activities provided that the student meets all eligibility requirements of the district and the Alaska School Activities Association. It is the responsibility of the parent/guardian to obtain and make available to the district all necessary report cards/transcripts/grades and/or other indicators that are required by the district to determine eligibility for extracurricular and co-curricular activities.
(cf. 6145 - Extracurricular and Co-curricular Activities)
(cf. 6145.2 - Interscholastic Competition)
(cf. 6145.21 - Sportsmanship)
AS 14.03.095 Part time school attendance
AS 14.30.010 When attendance compulsory
AS 14.30.045 Grounds for suspension or denial of admission
AS 14.30.125 Immunization
ALASKA ADMINISTRATIVE CODE
4 AAC 05.035 Part-Time Enrollment in a Public School
4 AAC 09.040 Counting of Correspondence Students and Part-Time Public School Students
4 AAC 06.055 Immunizations Required
KETCHIKAN GATEWAY BOROUGH SCHOOL DISTRICT
Adoption Date: 10/13/99