REGULAR MEETING of March 24, 2021
3/24/2021 6:00:00 PM
KETCHIKAN GATEWAY BOROUGH SCHOOL DISTRICT
BOARD OF EDUCATION
MARCH 24, 2021
Meeting to be held virtually via Webex and streamed live at www.kgbak.us/meeting.videos
The Board of Education would like to respectfully acknowledge the traditional first people of this land in Ketchikan, the Tongass Tlingit people.
VISION: Educating and empowering students to be leaders, critical thinkers, and problem solvers.
MISSION: Together we foster an educational culture of academic excellence, meaningful connections, and nurturing environments to maximize every student's unique potential.
- CALL TO ORDER, PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE, ROLL CALL
- APPROVAL OF AGENDA
- PUBLIC RECOGNITION - Region V results
- CITIZEN REMARKS
- INFORMATION AND REPORTS FROM BOARD MEMBERS - including any Committee Reports
- CLAIMS FOR INFORMATION – Claims of March 19, 2021
- SUPERINTENDENT’S REPORT including:
- Student Board Member's Report
- **PUBLIC HEARING - POLICY** - Procedure (1) Citizens may give public comment regarding the subject of the hearing; (2) the public hearing is closed; (3) opportunity for Board discussion and decision.
- Motion to approve revisions to Board Policy 1020 - Youth Services in first reading.
- Motion to approve revisions to Board Policy 1100 - Communication with the Public in first reading.
- CONSENT CALENDAR - Matters listed under the Consent Calendar are considered to be routine and will be enacted by one motion and one vote. There will be no separate discussion of these items. If a Board member requests discussion, that item will be removed from the Consent Calendar and will be considered under Unfinished Business.
- Motion to approve the regular meeting minutes of March 10, 2021.
- Motion to approve the offering of tenured teacher contracts for the 2021-2022 school year.
- UNFINISHED BUSINESS (or transferred consent calendar items)
- NEW BUSINESS
- Motion to approve the purchase of the English Language Arts curriculum "MyPerspectives" for Schoenbar Middle School at a cost of $29,289.46.
- Motion to approve an amendment to the FY22 Six-Year Capital Improvement Plan to include the High School Auditorium Sound System project.
- Motion to approve the offer of a five-year contract for bus transportation services to First Student.
- Motion to retroactively issue a three-month extra duty contract of $5,000 to Katie Parrott as acting superintendent.
- Smart Start review.
13. BOARD COMMENTS
- ADVANCE PLANNING
- Board Member Volunteer for Media Contact
- Regular School Board Meeting - Wed., April 14, 2021, 6 p.m.
The Board reserves the right to go into executive session at any time as and to the extent provided by AS 44.62.310 (the Public Meetings Act) and Board Policy 9321 (Executive Sessions).
* Public Access options: 1) Install WebEx on your iPad, smart phone or computer. The WebEx Meeting # is 187 001 9909; password-QBt9HB2AKt9 ; 2) Livestream at www.kgbak.us/meeting.videos; or 3) view on local KPU television.
Regular Meeting of the Board of Education