REGULAR MEETING of February 12, 2020
2/12/2020 6:00:00 PM
KETCHIKAN GATEWAY BOROUGH SCHOOL DISTRICT
BOARD OF EDUCATION
February 12, 2020
Ketchikan Gateway Borough Assembly Chambers
(Preceded by a special meeting, starting at 5:30 P.M.)
- CALL TO ORDER, PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE, ROLL CALL
- APPROVAL OF AGENDA
- PUBLIC RECOGNITION
- School Board Recognition Month
- CITIZEN REMARKS - including any public input regarding applicants for the School Board vacancy.
- APPOINTMENT TO THE VACANT SCHOOL BOARD SEAT
- Proposed process for appointment
- Interviews of candidates: Patrick Von Danskin; Thomas M. Heutte; Dustin Larna; Anna M. Sherman
- Opportunity for any discussion by the Board
- Balloting and motion(s) regarding appointment
- Oath of Office
- EXECUTIVE SESSION - to discuss the Superintendent's negotiated contract with legal counsel, a matter the immediate knowledge of which would clearly have an adverse effect upon the finances of the school district.
- INFORMATION AND REPORTS FROM BOARD MEMBERS
- Committee Reports
- CLAIMS FOR INFORMATION - January 24, 2020 and February 7, 2020
- SUPERINTENDENT REPORT including
a. Ketchikan High School Report
b. Directors' Reports
c. Student Board Member's Report
- PUBLIC HEARING - Procedure: (1) Citizens may give public comment regarding the subject of the hearing; (2) the public hearing is closed; (3) opportunity for Board discussion and decision.
a. Motion to approve revised Board Policy 5141.31 - Immunizations in second reading.
b. Motion to approve revised Board Policy 6146.1 - High School Graduation Requirements in first reading.
- CONSENT CALENDAR - Matters listed under the Consent Calendar are considered to be routine and will be enacted by one motion and one vote. There will be no separate discussion of these items. If a Board member requests discussion, that item will be removed from the consent calendar and will be considered under Unfinished Business.
a. Motion to approve the regular meeting minutes of January 22, 2020.
b. Motion to approve Resolution #20-04 and Plan Amendment to the district's 403(b) Retirement Plan.
- UNFINISHED BUSINESS (or transferred consent calendar items)
a. Motion to approve the ALICE curriculum for K-12 classrooms.
- NEW BUSINESS
a. Motion to approve a contract with Beth Lougee as Superintendent of Schools.
- School Board Goals
- School Board Training
- AASB March Fly-In
15. CITIZEN REMARKS
16. BOARD COMMENTS
17. ADVANCED PLANNING
- Board Member Volunteer for Media Contact
- Agenda setting, February 17, 2020
- Next Regular School Board Meeting: 6:00 p.m., Wednesday, February 26, 2020
- School District Budget Forum - 2 p.m. Saturday, March 7, 2020, Kayhi Library
- Presentations regarding the School Climate and Connectedness Survey results: May 12, 2020 - Community meeting; May 13, 2020 - School Board Worksession, 4:30-5:45pm
The Board reserves the right to enter into executive session at any time as and to the extent provided for by AS 44.62.310 (the Public Meetings Act) and Board Bylaw 9321 (Executive Sessions).
Regular Meeting of the Board of Education