REGULAR MEETING of October 14, 2020
10/14/2020 6:00:00 PM
KETCHIKAN GATEWAY BOROUGH SCHOOL DISTRICT
BOARD OF EDUCATION
OCTOBER 14, 2020
Ketchikan Gateway Borough Assembly Chambers
VISION: Educating and empowering students to be leaders, critical thinkers, and problem solvers.
MISSION: Together we foster an educational culture of academic excellence, meaningful connections, and nurturing environments to maximize every student's unique potential.
- CALL TO ORDER, PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE, ROLL CALL
- APPROVAL OF AGENDA
- PUBLIC RECOGNITION
- Caitlin Jacobson – Award from Alaska Association of State Librarians
- Linda Lory-Allen – First Student Bus Driver
- CITIZEN REMARKS
- INFORMATION AND REPORTS FROM BOARD MEMBERS including any Committee Reports
- CLAIMS FOR INFORMATION – Claims of October 2, 2020
- SUPERINTENDENT’S REPORT including
- Directors' Reports
- Student Member's Report
- **PUBLIC HEARING - POLICY** - Procedure (1) Citizens may give public comment regarding the subject of the hearing; (2) the public hearing is closed; (3) opportunity for Board discussion and decision.
- Motion to approve revisions to Board Policy 4020 – Drug & Alcohol Free Workplace in first reading.
- Motion to approve revisions to Board Policy 3540 - Transportation in first reading.
- Motion to approve revisions to Board Policy 5131.3 - Bus Conduct in first reading.
- CONSENT CALENDAR - Matters listed under the Consent Calendar are considered to be routine and will be enacted by one motion and one vote. There will be no separate discussion of these items. If a Board member requests discussion, that item will be removed from the Consent Calendar and will be considered under Unfinished Business.
a. Motion to approve the regular meeting minutes of September 23, 2020.
- UNFINISHED BUSINESS (or transferred consent calendar items)
- NEW BUSINESS
a. Motion to approve the purchase of Uninteruptible Power Supply (UPS) equipment from Provantage LLC at a cost of $29,500.
b. Motion to approve a service agreement with Alaska Pest Management in the amount of $40,125 for disinfecting services for the 2020-2021 school year.
c. Motion to approve the sale of maintenance department equipment.
a. Smart Start Planning Sessions (options for school after Christmas Break).
b. Superintendent evaluation
c. Recognition of traditional tribal land
d. Association of Alaska School Boards Annual Conference – November 7-8, 2020
- BOARD COMMENTS
- ADVANCE PLANNING
- Board Member Volunteer for Media Contact
- Borough Training for Elected Officials – October 26 & 27, 2020
- Next Regular School Board Meeting - Wed., October 28 (agenda setting at 10 a.m. October 19, 2020)
The Board reserves the right to go into executive session at any time as and to the extent provided by AS 44.62.310 (the Public Meetings Act) and Board Policy 9321 (Executive Sessions).
Regular Meeting of the Board of Education