REGULAR MEETING of May 11, 2022
5/11/2022 6:00:00 PM
KETCHIKAN GATEWAY BOROUGH SCHOOL DISTRICT
BOARD OF EDUCATION
MAY 11, 2022
Ketchikan Gateway Borough Assembly Chambers
The Board of Education respectfully acknowledges the traditional first people of this land in Ketchikan, the Tongass Tlingit people.
1. CALL TO ORDER, PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE, ROLL CALL
2. APPROVAL OF AGENDA
3. PUBLIC RECOGNITION - Student Board Member Braxton Zink; Recognition of this year's retirees; Teacher Appreciation Week; John Brown ASAA Gold Pass Award
4. CITIZEN REMARKS - (Per Board Bylaw 9323, each individual speaker will be limited to a maximum of 5 minutes.)
5. INFORMATION AND REPORTS FROM BOARD MEMBERS including any Committee Reports
6. CLAIMS FOR INFORMATION - Claims of April 15, 2022; Claims of April 29, 2022
7. SUPERINTENDENT'S REPORT:
- Student Member's Report
- Schoenbar Middle School Report
8. **PUBLIC HEARING - POLICY** - Procedure (1) Citizens may give public comment regarding the subject of the hearing; (2) the public hearing is closed; (3) opportunity for Board discussion and decision.
- Motion to approve revisions to Board Policy 4218 - Personnel: Dismissal/Suspension/Disciplinary Action.
- Motion to replace current Board Policy 4112.8- Personnel: Employment of Relatives with a new version.
9. CONSENT CALENDAR - Matters listed under the Consent Calendar are considered to be routine and will be enacted by one motion and one vote. There will be no separate discussion of these items. If a Board member requests discussion, that item will be removed from the Consent Calendar and will be considered under Unfinished Business.
- Approval of leave of absence for Sarah Huerta (paraprofessional).
- Motion to approve a special services contract with Terri Crofcheck.
- Motion to approve offering of contracts to non-tenured certified staff.
- Motion to approve offering of an administrative contract to Shane Scamahorn.
10. UNFINISHED BUSINESS (or transferred consent calendar items)
11. NEW BUSINESS
- Motion to approve the Title I, Part D, Subpart 2 Neglected and Delinquent Youth Competitive Grant.
- Approval of the School Board meeting schedule for July, November, and December.
- Board decision on student disciplinary hearing case #22-02.
- Board decision on student disciplinary hearing case #22-03.
- Six-month schedule for Board goals, evaluations and other Board activities.
- Drug abuse/overdose issues
13. BOARD COMMENTS
14. EXECUTIVE SESSION - Negotiations with KEA Special Services Professionals of Ketchikan (SSPK).
15. OPPORTUNITY FOR ACTION regarding the negotiations with the SSPK.
16. ADVANCE PLANNING
- Worksession or Regular School Board meeting - Wednesday, May 25, 2022.
The Board reserves the right to go into executive session at any time as and to the extent provided by AS 44.62.310 (the Public Meetings Act) and Board Policy 9321 (Executive Sessions.)
Regular Meeting of the Board of Education