REGULAR MEETING of October 28, 2020
10/28/2020 6:00:00 PM
KETCHIKAN GATEWAY BOROUGH SCHOOL DISTRICT
BOARD OF EDUCATION
OCTOBER 28, 2020
Ketchikan Gateway Borough Assembly Chambers
VISION: Educating and empowering students to be leaders, critical thinkers, and problem solvers.
MISSION: Together we foster an educational culture of academic excellence, meaningful connections, and nurturing environments to maximize every student's unique potential.
- CALL TO ORDER, PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE, ROLL CALL
- OATH OF OFFICE - Diane Gubatayao, Paul Robbins Jr., Nicole Anderson, Kim Hodne
- ORGANIZATION OF THE BOARD
a. Election of President
b. Election of Vice President
c. Election of Clerk-Treasurer
- APPROVAL OF AGENDA
- PUBLIC RECOGNITION - Red Ribbon Week Proclamation
- CITIZEN REMARKS
- INFORMATION AND REPORTS FROM BOARD MEMBERS including any Committee Reports
- CLAIMS FOR INFORMATION – Claims of October 16, 2020
- SUPERINTENDENT’S REPORT including
- Directors' Reports
- Student Member's Report
- **PUBLIC HEARING - POLICY** - Procedure (1) Citizens may give public comment regarding the subject of the hearing; (2) the public hearing is closed; (3) opportunity for Board discussion and decision.
a. Motion to approve revisions to Board Policy 4020 – Drug & Alcohol Free Workplace in second reading.
b. Motion to approve revisions to Board Policy 3540 - Transportation in second reading.
c. Motion to approve revisions to Board Policy 5131.3 - Bus Conduct in second reading.
d. Motion to approve revisions to Board Policy 4000 - Personnel Concepts and Roles in first reading.
- CONSENT CALENDAR - Matters listed under the Consent Calendar are considered to be routine and will be enacted by one motion and one vote. There will be no separate discussion of these items. If a Board member requests discussion, that item will be removed from the Consent Calendar and will be considered under Unfinished Business.
a. Motion to approve the regular meeting minutes of October 14, 2020
b. Motion to approve the hire of Kimm Schwartz as a district-wide nurse, starting full-time December 1, 2020.
c. Motion to approve the hire of Sherity Kelly as a district-wide nurse, starting full-time November 30, 2020.
- UNFINISHED BUSINESS (or transferred consent calendar items)
- NEW BUSINESS
a. Motion to approve an MOA with Ketchikan Gateway Borough regarding a fire panel replacement project.
b. Motion to approve the purchase of replacement port switches, wireless access points, power supply, and accessories from Presidio Network Solutions for $86,857.83.
a. Acknowledgement of indigenous land
b. New Board member orientation
c. Superintendent evaluation scheduling
d. Student health screening and requirements for returning to school
- BOARD COMMENTS
- EXECUTIVE SESSION - Motion to enter Executive Session for the subject of Superintendent/Board Relations - a subject that tends to prejudice the reputation and character of any person, provided the person may request a public discussion.
- ADVANCE PLANNING
a. Board Member Volunteer for Media Contact
b. Association of Alaska School Boards Annual Conference (virtual)-Nov. 6-8, 2020
c. Next Regular School Board Meeting - Wed., November 11, 2020
The Board reserves the right to go into executive session at any time as and to the extent provided by AS 44.62.310 (the Public Meetings Act) and Board Policy 9321 (Executive Sessions).
Regular Meeting of the Board of Education