The School Board may declare a School Board seat vacant if the person elected:
- fails to qualify for Board membership within 30 days of certification of the election,
- refuses to take office,
- is convicted of a felony involving moral turpitude or a violation of the oath of office while serving as a School Board member,
- no longer resides within the boundaries which he/she was elected to represent and a two-thirds vote of the Board declares the seat vacant.
(cf. 9220 - School Board Election)
The School Board shall declare a vacancy on the Board for any actions which disqualify a member from service in accordance with state laws and local ordinances.
Three consecutive unexcused absences from regular Board meetings shall be sufficient cause for the Board to declare a Board vacancy.
(cf. 9121 - President)
(cf. 9320 - Meetings)
Appointment to the Board
A vacancy on the Board shall be filled within 30 days of the vacancy by Board appointment. When making an appointment to the Board, the Board desires to draw from the widest possible number of candidates.
The Board shall:
- Advertise the vacancy in suitable local media.
- Solicit applications or nominations of any legally qualified citizen interested in serving on the Board.
- Provide candidates with appropriate information regarding Board member responsibilities.
- Announce names of candidates and accept public input either in writing or at a public meeting.
- Interview the candidates at a public meeting.
- Select the provisional appointee by majority vote at a public meeting.
The person appointed shall hold office until the next regularly scheduled election for district Board members and shall be afforded all the powers and duties of a Board member upon appointment.
14.08.041 Regional School Boards
14.14.080 Declaring a School Board vacancy
29.26.240 - 29.26.360 Recall
KETCHIKAN GATEWAY BOROUGH SCHOOL DISTRICT
Adoption Date: 10/13/99