The Board president shall preside at all School Board meetings. He/she shall:
- Call the meeting to order at the appointed time;
- Announce the business to come before the Board in its proper order;
- Enforce the Board's policies relating to the order of business and the conduct of meetings;
- Recognize persons who desire to speak, and protect the speaker who has the floor from disturbance or interference;
- Explain what the effect of a motion would be if it is not clear to every member;
- Restrict discussion to the question when a motion is before the Board.
- Rule on parliamentary procedure;
- Put motions to a vote, and state clearly the results of the vote.
The president shall have all the rights of any member of the Board, including the right to move, second, discuss, and shall vote on all questions before the Board.
The president shall also perform other duties as directed by the Board, and state laws, regulations and the Board, including the duty to:
- Sign all instruments, acts, and orders necessary to carry out state requirements and the will of the Board;
- Consult with the Superintendent or designee on the preparation of the Board's agendas;
- Appoint and disband all committees, subject to Board approval;
- Call such meetings of the Board as he/she may deem necessary, giving notice as prescribed by law;
- Excuse Board member absences from regular Board meetings.
(cf. 9223 - Board Vacancies)
- Confer with the Superintendent or designee on crucial matters which may occur between Board meetings;
- Be responsible for the orderly conduct of all Board meetings.
- Share informational mail with other Board members.
- Sign the minutes and contracts.
When the president resigns or is absent or disabled, the vice president or clerk/treasurer shall perform the president's duties. When both the president and vice president or clerk/treasurer are absent or disabled, the Board shall choose a president pro tempore to perform the president's duties.
(cf. 9120 - Officers and Auxiliary Personnel)
(cf. 9320 - Meetings)
(cf. 9322 - Agenda/Meeting Materials)
14.14.070 Organization of School Board
KETCHIKAN GATEWAY BOROUGH SCHOOL DISTRICT
Adoption Date: 10/13/99