REGULAR MEETING of January 11, 2023
1/11/2023 6:00:00 PM
KETCHIKAN GATEWAY BOROUGH SCHOOL DISTRICT BOARD OF EDUCATION
Regular meeting of January 11, 2023 at 6:00 P.M.
Ketchikan Gateway Borough Assembly Chambers
The Board of Education respectfully acknowledges the traditional first people of this land in Ketchikan, the Tongass Tlingit people.
1. CALL TO ORDER, PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE, ROLL CALL
2. APPROVAL OF AGENDA
3. PUBLIC RECOGNITION- Martin Luther King Jr. Day 2023 Proclamation
4. CITIZEN REMARKS (per BB9323, each individual speaker is allowed a maximum of 5 minutes to address the board.)
5. INFORMATION AND REPORTS FROM BOARD MEMBERS including Committee Reports
- Assembly/School Board Liaison Committee
- Policy Committee
6. CLAIMS FOR INFORMATION – Claims of December 9, 2022; December 22, 2022
- Student Member's Report
- Superintendent’s Report
8. CONSENT CALENDAR - (Matters listed under the Consent Calendar are routine and will be enacted by one motion and one vote. There will be no separate discussion of these items. If a Board member requests discussion, that item will be removed from the Consent Calendar and will be considered under Unfinished Business.)
a. Motion to approve the meeting minutes of December 14, 2022
b. Motion to approve the Certified new hire contract for Michael Cron, Director of Student Support Services, as presented, expended from the SAMHSA Mental Health Grant.
9. UNFINISHED BUSINESS (or transferred consent calendar items)
10. **PUBLIC HEARING: POLICY** Procedure (1) Citizens may give public comment regarding the subject of the hearing; (2) the public hearing is closed; (3) opportunity for Board discussion and decision.
a. Motion to revise BP 6146.1 High School Graduation Requirements, in second reading.
b. Motion to revise BP 5141.21 Administering Medication, in second reading.
c. Motion to create new Board Policy 5141.24 Medications Safety and Security in second reading.
a. Motion to approve the purchase of Amplify CKLA (Core Knowledge Language Arts,) a core curriculum for Prek-5 ELA (English Language Arts) for Ketchikan Charter School.
b. Work session on the Borough/District MOA Regarding District Health Insurance Fund Deficit with possible motions and/or direction to staff and/or Liaison committee
12. EXECUTIVE SESSION- pursuant to BP 9321 to receive an update from legal counsel on matters of pending or potential litigation or claims, with possible direction to an attorney regarding the handling of specific legal matters, which is covered by attorney-client privilege.
a. Board Goals
b. 2023-24 District Calendar update
c. Adverse Childhood Experiences
d. 2023 AASB Legislative Priorities
14. BOARD COMMENTS
15. ADVANCE PLANNING
a. School Board Listening Session January 14th (Pilothouse) or 15th (Cape Fox) 9:00 -11:00 am
b. Annette Island School District/Ketchikan School District joint work session January 16, 2023 at 12:00 p.m. in the Metlakatla Long House, Metlakatla.
c. Assembly/School Board Liaison meeting January 24th at 12:00 p.m. in the Borough Assembly Chambers.
d. School Board Regular meeting January 25, 2023, at 6:00 p.m. in the Borough Assembly Chambers.
Regular Meeting of the Board of Education