REGULAR MEETING of September 14, 2022
9/14/2022 6:00:00 PM
KETCHIKAN GATEWAY BOROUGH SCHOOL DISTRICT
BOARD OF EDUCATION
September 14, 2022
Ketchikan Gateway Borough Assembly Chambers
The Board of Education respectfully acknowledges the traditional first people of this land in Ketchikan, the Tongass Tlingit people.
1. CALL TO ORDER, PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE, ROLL CALL
2. APPROVAL OF AGENDA
3. PUBLIC RECOGNITION
- Diane Gubatayao- Alaska Children’s Trust 2022 Champion for Kids
4. CITIZEN REMARKS- (Per Board Bylaw 9323, each individual speaker is allowed a maximum of 5 minutes to address the board.)
5. INFORMATION AND REPORTS FROM BOARD MEMBERS- (including any Committee Reports)
6. CLAIMS FOR INFORMATION: September 2, 2022
- Superintendent’s Report
8. **PUBLIC HEARING – POLICY**- Procedure (1) Citizens may give public comment regarding the subject of the hearing; (2) the public hearing is closed; (3) opportunity for Board discussion and decision.
a. Motion to revise BP 5113 “Absences and Excuses” in second reading
9. CONSENT CALENDAR
a. Motion to approve the regular meeting minutes of August 24, 2022.
b. Motion to approve the special meeting minutes of August 30, 2022.
c. Motion to approve out of state travel for Ketchikan High School Close- Up Program
d. Motion to approve out of state travel for Ketchikan High School Yearbook Team
10. UNFINISHED BUSINESS (or transferred consent calendar items)
11. EXECUTIVE SESSION – (BP 9321)
a. to discuss a matter, the immediate knowledge of which would clearly have an adverse effect upon the finances of the school district - KEA Educational Support Professionals (ESPs) Negotiated Agreement.
b. to receive an update from legal counsel on matters of potential or pending litigation or claims, which is covered by attorney-client privilege.
12. NEW BUSINESS
a. Motion to ratify the Negotiated Labor Contract between KGBSD and KEA ESPs
a. Drug abuse/overdose issues
b. Tribal Relations
14. BOARD COMMENTS
15. ADVANCE PLANNING
a. School Board Listening Session to be held Saturday September 17 or Sunday September 18, 2022, 9:00 – 11:00 a.m. Location to be determined at the September 14, 2022 regular meeting.
b. School Board Regular meeting and Work session with Ketchikan Youth for Change will be held Wednesday September 28, 2022 at 6:00 p.m. in the Borough Assembly Chambers.
c. AASB Award Nominations Due October 7 for the Carl Rose Governance Award, Outstanding School Board Award and the AASB Board of Directors seats.
d. Government to Government with KIC
The Board reserves the right to go into executive session at any time as and to the extent provided by AS 44.62.310 (the Public Meetings Act) and Board Policy 9321 (Executive Sessions).
Regular Meeting of the Board of Education